Ellen is “fix’in” to leave Texas
I can’t believe it’s been over a month already, but I
suppose it’s always that way…. Looks like forever till you get there. North Texas has proven itself once again –
like “they” say, “If you don’t like the weather, stick around a few days.” When I arrived, I was greeted with freezing
rain and snow, followed by a week of COLD windy days when the phrase “wind
chill factor” was a part of the local reports.
“It’s 35 degrees with a “wind chill factor” of 24.” Like it’s not bad enough at 35 degrees. Then I’d go visit my stepdad, Walter, in
rehab (oh, I just LOVE that term!). He’s on blood thinners, so of course, he’s
always freezing (those of you who know me realize my writing that is like the
pot calling the kettle black), anyway, I’m talking about Walter right now… He would have his room temp turned up to
almost 80. I’d come in with boots,
jacket, etc, from the freeze and I’d have to race to get these off or fear
vaporizing. Walter got his “get out of
jail card” on January 30th and has been home supervising my actions
since. I did take him out a few times
while he was still on the inside – we were limited to a 4 hour leave or face
full eviction from the center without Medicare coverage. The first time I was very concerned, but
found out that 4 hours was enough to go have a meal, and a haircut or pedicure
(Walter’s first ever). I sure was happy
to have him home on so many counts.
First and foremost: he’s well enough to come home after his TIA
(mini-stroke). And, I was now able to
incorporate him into the daily activity and have some fun with him.
I last lived in Fort Worth in 1988 and my visits since then
have been generally under a week’s time with my mom and Walter. This go around, I was able to visit with my
Fort Worth based friends and see my son, Jon.
Marilyn and Rosemarie have both been my friends for 30 years (we met
when we were babies…!) and Doris worked
with me at the Texas Employment Commission “back in the day” (mid-80s). I was able to go have lunch with Doris one
day and then was slaughtered in a Scrabble battle afterwards. Marilyn and hubby, Danny, live just a mile
down the road so I’ve really taken advantage of this trip to spend some time
catching up with them. I joined them for
the New Year, the Stock Show Ranch Rodeo and for the Super Bowl (we won’t go
there… since you-know-who ended up winning).
And we went to the Big D to visit our children, now all grown up and
working away. Her daughter is a music
therapist: very interesting job and my son, Jonothan, just found out his final
year of his management program with Verizon will be in Miami. He will leave Dallas in August. Let’s see…what weather is worse than August
in Phoenix….August in Dallas….then what is worse yet….August in Miami! But, Florida and Texas collect no state
income tax and the scenery in Miami sure beats Dallas – I may just have to
visit. Jon’s girlfriend, Monica,
graduates from ASU in May as a journalist, and she will be seeking a job in
Miami area. Wish her well – I like her
mui mucho!
I attended the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo twice this
year. The first time with Marilyn and
family where the highlight for me was the little kids (about 6-10 years old),
competing on the back of sheep. The
winner was clever and stayed on “forever” because he rode backwards. Yes, it was so funny! He had his feet around the sheep’s neck and
shoulders and was hanging on to the back side.
The other kids rode forward and let me tell you those sheep have no
interest in having a child ride them. I
couldn’t believe these little guys (and girls I might add) in their football
helmets and colorful cowboy outfits. I
think they competed for scholarship money.
The second time was on a “Veteran’s Day” family pass. Walter and Rosemarie came along. The highlight of the show was Whiplash, the
little monkey who rides on a custom saddle on the back of a border collie
herding sheep. Yes, “for real”, u-tube
them. We wheeled Walter up and down and
all around the cattle and horse barns afterwards.
Of course I had to get my fix of Texas “Fixin’s” while I was
here. My most fave place is Old South
Pancake House where I’ve been eating “German Pancakes” since I was about 15
years old. I came here one morning with
Rosemarie and her friend, Uta and her husband and we all 4 shared a
pancake. It was a little embarrassing
when Uta was making sounds a Porn Star would be paid highly for over the
delicious tasting delicacy. The next
time was after the rodeo with Walter and Rosemarie. We sat next to two young couples experiencing
the cakes for the first time and we struck up quite an interesting conversation
– they were gracious enough to actually laugh at my attempt at humor. I think they will be back for more cakes just
like I will. Walter had the chicken
fried steak and I sampled it. It was
pretty good, but I miss Massey’s on 8th Street, they closed down a
few years ago. Mel and Matt (one of the
couples we met at Old South said I have to try “Babe’s” in Burleson next time
I’m here. I’m sure Rosemarie and my
mom/Walter will go with me.
So, I could go on…but to spare you all, I will simply say
that I had a good time here and I’m really happy that Walter is doing so
well. Mom is back after a grueling month
of remodeling their condo after the tenants from HELL occupation. How can people do that much damage? It should be criminal. But, she made it and it looks like new once
more. Now, to sell or re-rent….always a
question.
I’m off to San Diego – a 1350 mile trip from here. I won’t do it all in one long drive like on
the way out here. Since I’m leaving at
noon, this time I will stop and spend the night somewhere along the way. I’ll get home on Thursday evening and get
some things done and head to Puerto Vallarta on Saturday! Whoopie!
Yes, I just wrote that….
Quick update on Bud’s adventure: Larry and Doug came to visit, but cut their
visit short because Bud got very sick and then Larry was apparently coming down
with it too, so he and Doug bailed and headed north. While they were there, one of the SCUBA tanks
rolled off the deck into about 300 feet of deep blue…bye-bye tankie. So, I’m bringing another one with me. And then one night after they left, Bud heard
some noise outside to find the dinghy stolen.
He said that they probably just wanted the motor. And, indeed, within a couple of days, the
dinghy was found, sans motor, gas can, and zapatas (that’s sandals for you
gringos). I’m bringing gas can and his
other sandals and he found/bought a new/used motor – and No, it’s not the same
one that was stolen…I asked that too.
But, overall, he’s still having fun and says I won’t recognize his
tanned, svelt self.
So, we’re off and running – just letting you all know that
we do have phone service (when we have it, but we can’t text and have no data
plan). And, all the minutes count, so if
you need to call, go ahead and give it a try, just remember: KISS.
(Keep It Short and Sweet).
Retirement (besides that little bitty paycheck) is pretty cool!
No comments:
Post a Comment